AMARC issues an alert following the crimes committed in HondurasPublished by karine on Wed, 03/16/2016 - 17:07
March 16, 2016. The World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC) is calling on its partners and members to mobilize and maintain vigilance against those responsible for crimes against the leaders of the Lenca people in Honduras.
Two weeks after the assassination of Berta Cáceres, another member of the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), Nelson Garcia, 39 year-old, was killed in Honduras when he was returning home in the municipality of Rio Lindo.
At the same time, according to the Comité por la Libertad de Expresión, 150 families were evicted by police in Rio Chiquito, municipality of Rio Lindo, in the department of Cortés.
AMARC wants to alert governments, stakeholders and the entire civil society about the danger of politico-economic models that support projects to the detriment of the environment and the right to water, land and the dignified and traditional life of the indigenous peoples in the affected territories.
AMARC sympathizes with the families of comrades, with community media and all members and partners of COPINH.
- We demand justice for the murders of Berta Caceres and Nelson Garcia.
- We demand the freedom of Gustavo Castro Soto.
- We demand the cessation of crimes against those who defends human rights universally consecrated.
- We demand the end to the persecution of the Lenca people and that the preventive protection of Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) is respected.
- We demand the implementation of the Indigenous Consultation of the Convention 169 of the International Labour Organisation (ILO).
End impunity, respect for life!
Photo: © desInformémonos