IYS2015 - Stories from the soils: an audio series
[ AUDIO SERIES ]
Stories from the soils: an audio series produced by AMARC, in collaboration with FAO
2015 has been declared the International Year of Soils (IYS) by the 68th UN General Assembly. The IYS aims to be a platform for raising awareness of the importance of soils for food security and essential eco-system functions.
The IYS aims to attain the following objectives:
- Create full awareness of civil society and decision makers about the fundamental roles of soils for human’s life;
- Achieve full recognition of the prominent contributions of soils to food security, climate change adaptation and mitigation, essential ecosystem services, poverty alleviation and sustainable development;
- Promote effective policies and actions for the sustainable management and protection of soil resources;
- Sensitize decision-makers about the need for robust investment in sustainable soil management activities aiming at healthy soils for different land users and population groups;
- Catalyze initiatives in connection with the SDG process and Post-2015 agenda;
- Advocate rapid enhancement of capacities and systems for soil information collection and monitoring at all levels (global, regional and national).
"The multiple roles of soils often go unnoticed. Soils don’t have a voice, and few people speak out for them. They are our silent ally in food production."
José Graziano da Silva, FAO Director-General
An audio series
As part of the International Year of Soils, the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC) is partnering with the Office for Corporate Communication of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to facilitate the production of 80 audio pieces by producers and community radio journalists in an effort to engage discussion, improve public education and encourage the sharing of scientific knowledge on the topic of environment, climate change, food security, agriculture, sustainable development, resilience and economical, cultural and political issues related to soils.
From March to December 2015, two productions a week will be featured on AMARC's and FAO's website. This audio series aims to illustrate how different community interact and deal with issues related to soils. AMARC and FAO wishes to share the communities' voices and help them resonate on an international level.
- 2015 International Year of Soils - Healthy soils for a healthy life (Official website)
If you wish to participate or have a question, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The views expressed in these programmes are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters (AMARC) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).